Camera! Lights! Action! It’s time to enjoy a free movie under the starry summer sky. Spend your Fridays in July on Art Hill with the Saint Louis Art Museum’s Outdoor Film Series. The party starts at 7 p.m. with food, music and festivities on Art Hill Plaza. A Monty Python, Hitchcock, Beatles or Bond movie will give you a much needed blast from the past.
Saint Louis Art Museum’s Outdoor Film Series • July 6, 13, 20, 27 • 7 p.m. • Free • Art Hill in Forest Park
• Join Miss Piggy, Kermit the Frog, Fozzie the Bear and the rest of the gang for a free movie in the park. The City of St. Peters
will show four free movies this summer at four different parks in St. Charles County. Films include The Muppets
and the Adventures of Tintin
. On October 5, you’re invited on a journey of a lifetime during The Wizard of Oz
sing-along. Dress up as your favorite character, hiss at the Wicked Witch and sing your heart out to one of the most beloved films of all times.
St. Peter’s Movies in the Park • July 6, September 7 and October 5 • Free • Various locations
• St. Charles Community College is not only home to higher learning, it’s also a great place to catch The Lorax, The Goonies or The Wizard of Oz this summer. "We've had such great attendance at our movie nights in the past, that we wanted to offer programming over the summer, too,” said Mandi Smith, SCC student activities coordinator. “It’s a fun event for the whole family to attend.”
Outdoor Summer Movie Series at St. Charles Community College • June 15, July 20 and August 10 • 8 p.m. • Free • On the lawn outside the Technology Building at St. Charles Community College
• Wishing you could have seen Rio or The Smurfs on the big screen? Thanks to Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series 2012, you still can. For ten Wednesday and Thursday mornings this summer, your family can catch a free showing of a recently released, kid-friendly flick like Hop, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Winnie the Pooh or Zookeeper. Seating is on a first-come, first served basis, so arrive early to get your spot.
Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series 2012 • Wednesday and Thursdays June 6 to August 16 • 10 a.m. • Free • Local Wehrenberg Theatres
• The City of Chesterfield shows off its new Amphitheater by inviting families to enjoy free movies, starting July 7 with Happy Feet. There is a combination of fixed and lawn seating, so bring blankets or lawn chairs and enjoy the stars (and the concession stand).
Free Movies at the Chesterfield Amphitheater • July 13, Aug. 10 • Veteran's Place Drive in Chesterfield
• Later this summer, Wildwood kicks off its movies nights will Wildwood Movies on the Plaza. Enjoy family favorites like Toy Story 3, Shark Tale and Transformers. The city provides popcorn, beverages and the movie all free of charge.
Wildwood Movie Nights on the Plaza • August 10, Sept. 14, Oct. 5 • Town Center Plaza just west of City Hall
By Andrea Wilson, Events Blogger for SmartParenting
Photo courtesy of Chesterfield Amphitheater